Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Adventure: begin!

Let's begin with I don't exactly know how to Blog.
Glad we clarified.

I am leaving next week for Buenos Aires, Argentina to study abroad through Pepperdine.

I guess I'll post about what I'm doing, and pictures, here, on this blog of mine. So check back later. Maybe today. Maybe not though. How often am I supposed to blog? Does anyone have blogging advice?

How about the story of going to Argentina... Sound good?
I applied in October of last year to study abroad in Germany for one semester. I applied to Germany because I love it there and I couldn't decide where to go. Pepperdine has the most amazing study abroad programs though, so it was a necessity to go somewhere. Germany, got accepted. Fast forward to January, beginning of the second semester. While chatting with some friends it dawned upon me that Argentina sounded pretty neat, really neat actually. I emailed Donna, the greatest teacher alive and one of the visiting faculty for Buenos Aires, asking her advice regarding applying, 3 months late, to the B.A. program. She told me who to contact, etc. The last possible day to drop classes I dropped German, dropped my program contract, and was wait-listed for Argentina's spring program. It was not a garuntee that I would be accepted.
But I was.
Ok, now April comes along, 6 months after the application due date. I met some girls at a fraternity service project thing. They had both studied in B.A. for a year when they were sophomores. After hours of hearing stories and bits of information and a million "you're going to have so much fun!"'s, I told them I would look into getting on the waitlist for the Fall as well. I didn't expect to at all, I knew the program had been full for months.
All I have to say is that Malika, the director of international programs, is the best. I scheduled an appointment, walking in to see if I could somehow, possibly, maybe get on the wait-list for perhaps going to B.A. in the fall.
Ten minutes later I walked out of that office. Contract signed. Plans to leave a mere four months later for South America.

Don't ask me how any of this worked out. Because Jesus did it. That's the best answer I have. Now the four months have passed. My room is in shambles as I attempt to cram my life into 2 suitcases not exceeding 23 kg or 153 cm.

Later blog-mates!

1 comment:

Mary Elizabeth Conn said...

I am excited too! Send pictures of cowboys and waterfalls and penguins and Incan ruins. Send trinkets like beads and blankets and weavings and carvings. Send designer clothes from the European stores. Keep blogging...