Sunday, September 7, 2008

necessito las botas

Officially two days down. Or more I guess. A little over two days down, officially.
Yesterday was so fun. I woke up around 10:45 with plans to meet friends at the casa at 11 (or so I thought). Rushed to get dressed. My "mom" explained to me how to get to the bus stop, and how to get to Casa Holden, the Pepperdine house, from the bus. I understood... kinda.
Walked down the stairs, turned down the street, but couldn't find the bus stop. It was only raining slightly, yet freezing tremendously, however I decided I could figure out how to walk there. Luckily when I was shopping with Deedle last week I bought this beanie- it saved my life today because my head would have frozen off without it. For reals. Not fakes. Deedle I love you.
FORTY-FIVE minutes later I found the casa.
I love Buenos Aires. I love walking through Buenos Aires. It's kind of like New York City, but the sidewalks are not as even. I don't love walking through Buenos Aires in the rain/coldenss with the bonus of melting dog feces on the ground in my Toms (cloth shoes, not suitable for rain, whatsoever).
Met up with friends at the casa. We at lunch at a food court thing above a supermarket. It was alright, nothing great. Then walked around a big shopping street, a huge group of us. I feel like everything I did yesterday, minus walking to/from the casa was in a giant group. We obviously look like we aren't from here. I needed boots because my feet were freezing and soaking so we found a shoe store. I managed to buy boots that don't let rain in and are really cute.
After a while I went home, ate dinner, etc. Then met up with friends that live about 3 blocks away to go out. We took the bus to the casa to meet everyone. We went to a couple of places, mostly walking around, but ended up at a club around 2. We danced forever - it was so fun. The club was so crowded and people were still coming in when we left a little after 4!
Today I went, again with a large group, to a street market/fair. There was so many neat jewelry, clothes, shoes, bags, woven scarves, and a million other things. I walked around there with Sierra and Andrea. We met up with everyone after about an hour or meandering around crooked pathways lined with booths to go to Catholic mass. The church we went to, Iglesia Recoleta, is apparently famous and really beautiful. My Spanish isn't good enough to understand what was going on, but I enjoyed the experience.
I am doing pretty good. I really like it here, I only miss home when I think about it... so all the time. But this city is amazing and everyday I become better friends with more people.
Sleeping soon, tour of the city and intensive Spanish class begins tomorrow! Buenos noches.

No comments: