The past 24 hours have been sort of eventful.
I guess I'm the female student representative for my program, there was a voting thing last week... Anyway, I get to go to the important person meeting every week now. Yesterday in that meeting we were discussing what to do for our required convocation/chapels every week. Jazz, an RA, suggested that we could ask students to share stories from life, spiritual or not, each week during the alloted "convo" time. Rafa (director) said that he would share a story and then ask people to volunteer each week. Then someone made a joke about a significant part of my story. Then Matt said "that's Rosemary's story." Then Rafa said, "Oh yeah, you told me about that last week. You're going to share tonight."
Wait, WHAT!?
An hour later I stood in front of 60 peers/friends and shared an important story from my life, including lessons learned and growth found in difficult times. It was slightly intimidating. Ok, really intimidating. But well received and hopefully purposeful. Now everyone feels like they know me well. And I still don't know them. So that's funny to be a part of. Neat experience I guess. Great conversations have already arisen.
Anyway, we went to dinner and a Tango show. Dinner was really good. Wednesday nights are really good because we go to dinner on Pepperdine's dime... which means delicious.
I sat with a great group of friends, enjoyed conversation.
After dessert the show started. It was maybe an hour, hour and a half. The dancers were incredible. Tango is a beautiful dance. It originated in Buenos Aires in brothels or something a hundred years ago. It was a type of dance that the upper class did not partake in. Which makes me wonder if in a hundred years students will take grinding lessons or go see shows of freak-dancing... It was a really great show. There were about 20 extremely talented dancers and a few singers. My personal fav was this old, like 60/70 year old, couple that would come out at times and show their stuff. The music was live, the dancing was impeccable. It was great. A great night.
This morning after only a few hours of sleep I woke up to go to La Casita. La Casita is a school for orphaned children. It looks like it was built mission-trip style. Cement bricks, simple, but sturdy. About 10 of us went and spent several hours playing games with the kids. I did puzzles and play checkers and jenga with some 8 or 9 year old boys. A little later we all went outside and played soccer and tag. It was so fun. The kids were so loving, probably loved our digital cameras more then they loved us. I made numerous 6-12 year old friends, language and social barriers were disregarded. I loved it. We get to go every week.
I'm in humanities class right now. I have no idea what is going on. I haven't paid any attention. But you have no idea how slow this teacher talks- it's straight out of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love reading your blog. (Even if you weren't my favorite kid. :)
Keep me posted.
-Mom
Post a Comment